Friday, November 20, 2009

Modern Authors: My Ratings: Bulwer-Lytton Wannabes

Since I have retired I have been reading quite a bit. I will admit that most of it is for my amusement, though I have been known to read in some fairly esoteric academic areas. Therefore, these ratings are for novelists. My first category is the Bulwer-Lytton wannabe. There is an annual contest for people to come up with the most Bulwer-Lyttonesque opening sentence, like the infamous : It was a dark and stormy night.... Therefore, with no further ado, here they are:

Stephanie Meyer of "Twilight" infamy (I couldn't get through the first chapter -- it was THAT bad!) Friends don't let friends read Twilight!

Anne Rice: I actually read "Interview..." after it was first published and I did enjoy it. However, after that success, she let her purple prose style run amok. That, and her rather turgid writing style have placed her in the sub-basement.



No comments: